Best Practices for Locking Sage 300 Fiscal Periods
- Lock operations modules before financial modules
- When locking Bank Services, lock modules that integrate directly with it (AR, AP, and Payroll)
- Create and post all outstanding GL batches for a fiscal period before you lock it for GL.
Using the Sage 300 Fiscal Calendar Screen
Before you begin, it is important to note the following:
- Only lock or unlock fiscal periods only when no one is using the system - any changes you make to the calendar affect processing only after you save.
- Fiscal periods and their start and end dates appear in columns.
- Modules appear in rows.
- Double-click the cell in the period (column) for that particular module (row). Or, select the cell and press the space bar.
To lock or unlock a fiscal period for all modules:
- Double click "lock column" or "unlock column" for the period.
To lock or unlock all fiscal periods for a single module:
- Double-click "lock row" or "unlock row" for that module.
To lock or unlock all periods and all modules at once:
- Double click "lock all" or "unlock all."
How the Sage 300 Fiscal Calendar Works with Transaction Processing
Now over to Tasks to try and enter a transaction ...
In Order Entry (under "Common Services"), click on Shipment Entry. Try to enter an "OE shipment" for July 31st. You are able to enter the shipment details, but when you try to post this transaction, you will see an "error" message, and you are prevented from posting that shipment.
For example, say you lock Accounts Receivable (AR), but leave Order Entry (OE) unlocked. If you have set up OE to post to AR automatically, posting an OE invoice would succeed, but would generate an error batch when you try to post the batch in AR if you selected that option in the company profile. The best way to prevent this is by locking modules that generate transactions such as OE before you lock modules that receive transactions such as AR.
For more information about setting up fiscal period locking, see the Sage 300 system manager help for fiscal calendar.